About a week ago, I came across a job description for what I could consider to be my ultimate "dream job".... It's one of those kinds of roles that at first glance you would nearly offer yourself for free to have the opportunity to make a career in something that doesn't even seem like work.
Having absolutely no known connection to the role at this very large bank, and knowing blindly applying online was going to be a giant waste of time, I was determined to shove my way in line for a chance to interview for the role.
I scoured my network of contacts for someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone to connect me to the hiring manager. On Friday, I reluctantly cold called an Executive Director of the bank from a networking group, leaving a voicemail begging for her help, following with an email (just incase she preferred email as a means of communication). To my pleasant surprise, she responded and explained she would be happy to send my resume to the hiring group.
It's moments like these that I begin to realize what it truly takes to get in front of the hiring authorities for the chance to land these dream roles: unwavering determination and a little bit of guts.
Next week, I kick off day 46 of unemployment with a 2nd round interview on Monday with a smaller office. Thursday, I fly to NC for a 3rd round interview for that compliance role. In the meantime, I'm Networking Like a Boss for the roles I actually want, hoping the close of summer will meet me with good fortune.
No comments:
Post a Comment